Friday, May 9, 2008

Knock Knock


Knock Knock! Who's there? Today I had a really embarrassing mom moment!And thought I might share to spread some smiles around! This morning as I changed Brighton's diaper I let him play with the phone to keep him from squirming. Then I set the phone on the ground and went about our morning business. About a half hour later the phone started beeping because it was off the hook. As put the phone away there was a knock on the door. I thought it was the pest control guy again trying to sell us pest control. (I would probably buy some if they had pest control for door salesman) We weren't dressed so I was avoiding answering the door but of course the kids go running to the door asking me to open it. Stella peeks out the window and says "Mom, its a police officer!" So after avoiding the door I finally open it up. Was someone hurt in the neighborhood, did someone hold Spencer up for Oxycontin at the pharmacy...what was going on. "We got a 911 call from this address," the officer promptly says as my mind races. What????He said that the phone was off the hook so they couldn't call back! So basically we were being recorded by the police department! I asked Stella and Miles if they pushed the buttons and they responded that it was Brighton! The baby. Now the police officer thought we were really crazy. He looked directly at the kids and asks "are you OK?" Of course Miles has a bruise on his face from a pillow fight the night before. We assured the officer that we were OK and it was a mistake. Wow. I am grateful for prompt response and was sorry for wasting his time. I am sure our conversation recorded was thrilling...something like "Mom will you get my Strawberry Shortcake coloring book", "Miles do you need to go potty?". Luckily we were having a peaceful morning without crying or melt downs. What would your recording sound like at your home? It made me feel a little funny all day, like I was being bugged. I turned this really embarrassing moment into a learning one as I talked to the kids about 911 and emergencies. I am not sure if it really sunk in for sweet Brighton my 8 month old baby but I think we will stick to play phones!

3 comments:

Rina said...

I had a girl I was babysitting call 911. She told them the babysitter was being mean because she didn't want to go to bed--Scared me to death.
Then last year Jake accidentally called them- luckily we answered when they called back.

Kirkland's said...

That is hilarious! Good thing you weren't yelling at your kids...my recording would be me telling Alex to leave the baby alone and other reprimands!

Melanie said...

Hi Kristy. This is Melanie, Spencer's cousin. I love your blog and it is so much fun to see how your kids are growing. Two of my kids did this at different times, but fortunately they called and didn't actually come to the door.