I haven't posted a recipe for awhile so I thought I would share our dinner menu star tonight! We have had some pretty tasty stuff all week like sticky chicken and broccoli, salmon stuffed with wild rice and spinach, tortellini with Grandma, and tonight...TORTILLA-BLACK BEAN CASSEROLE! It tastes similar to a tamale pie and it is right up my taste buds alley. I will also make tacos with this meal just in case the kiddos are not in the mood. Stella and Brighton eat it well but Miles is a little more particular. Enjoy.
Tortilla-Black Bean Casserole
1 1/2 chopped bell peppers (orange and yellow add a lot of color)
2 cups chopped onion (can use less if not a fan)
1 (14.5 oz.)can of dice tomatoes or two cups fresh
3/4 cup salsa
1 cup frozen corn
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tbls ground cumin
2 (15 oz.) cans of black beans, drained
12 (6 inch) corn or flour tortillas
2 cups shredded cheese
In large skillet combine onions, peppers, tomatoes, salsa, garlic, and cumin. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in beans.
Grease a 9x13 baking dish with a little olive oil. Spread 1/3 of the bean mixture over the bottom of the dish. Top with half of the tortillas (overlapping). Cover tortillas with half of the cheese. Add another 1/3 of the bean mixture and cover with the remaining tortillas. Top the tortillas with the last third of the bean mixture. Sprinkle cheese. Bake at 350 degrees covered for 30-35 minutes (or until heated).

This is so easy, healthy and sure to be a crowd pleaser. With only two dishes to clean.

5 comments:
Sounds yummy--I will have to try this one. Thanks for the recipe. It's always nice to know --before cooking dinner--that it's a tried and true recipe!
Oh-and black beans are a favorite around here-as is healthy cooking. I'm still trying to get off 30 lbs. of baby weight.
I am in the same boat and my baby is 18 months. Let me know if you find something that works!
Sounds good...I got a new recipe book (by a dietician). Lots of beans...all the recipes have been nummy. But I'm not sure how my fam feels about all the beans. Jake has been singing the "Beans the Magical Fruit" song.
I love when you post your recipes...but honestly, I am curious about your sticky chicken and broccoli...what is it? Even not knowing what exactly it is I am thinking it is yummy...will you post that one too? :)
So the sticky chicken is really nothing special but my family enjoys it. It is equal parts of apricot jam and bbq sauce. You can do it in the crock pot or on the stove. Submerge the chicken completely in the sauce and simmer on the stove for at least 30 minutes. Cut the chicken into strips. I often do it in the crockpot on low. Let me know if you need more info Corey!
Post a Comment