Monday, July 28, 2008

Snyder Vege Rolls!

In the mood for a little Asian food! My family loves vegetarian egg rolls and it is pretty fun to whip them up! These egg rolls go great with sweet and sour chicken (I have a good recipe for this too) or stir fry. Sometimes I just put the egg roll stuffing on top of jasmine or brown rice instead of making a separate stir fry. So get out the chopsticks and enjoy!




One package egg roll wraps (in produce section)


4 cups shredded cabbage


2 cups shredded carrots


1/2 cup onions


1 cup mushrooms chopped (optional)


2-3 tbsp soy sauce (to taste)


2 tbsp fish or oyster sauce




*Easy tip: Instead of chopping all that cabbage and those carrots, buy a bag of the coleslaw salad mix. Which is shredded cabbage and carrots!!




Some folks let the cabbage marinate overnight but I don't have time for that so I just throw all the ingredients into a pan with a little olive oil and let it cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Place a few spoonfuls of the vegetable mixture into an egg roll wrap and roll tightly being sure to tuck in all sides. You can use a dab of water on the edges to help it stick. Repeat until all the egg rolls are wrapped and ready for cooking. Then heat another pan to medium heat and fill the bottom of the fry pan with about a half cup of olive oil. Place egg rolls into the pan and watch closely because they will burn. Flip the egg rolls and cook until golden brown on all sides. Place on paper towel to drain the oil!




My kids love these egg rolls especially Miles who will eat several of them! Even Brighty can gnaw one down with his four teeth and tough gums!

2 comments:

We are the Matthews! said...

Sounds good I think im going to try it on my menu this week. Im a little nerveous about the fish stuff. Can I use something else or does it need to be that? Maybe I can bring myself to try it. :)

Kristy said...

You don't have to use the oyster sauce...but it isn't a strong flavor. My friend used peanut sauce intstead. You could also just use soy sauce! I hope you enjoy them!!!