Thursday, July 3, 2008

Independence eve

Last year we went to the parade in Brighton, Utah and then had a picnic by the lake.
We also hit a big Fourth of July street party with my family. Stella and Miles dressed up their bikes in stars and stripes!

On the eve of Independence Day I think of my 30 different experiences and wonder what was my best and worst celebration! Being a festive person I do love a good parade and firework show shared with those I love. But one of my favorite must be before I had kids, Spencer and I along with some friends backpacked up Mount Timpanogas. We watched the fireworks from the top of Timp and reflected upon the great country we live in. We then turned on our head lamps and slid down the ice field in the dark. We camped in the meadow near the lake. I have since had so many wonderful experiences with my kids but this one is hard to top!


My worst has to be a firework celebration at my sister's home. My sister had just had a baby and we were sitting on the porch while the baby slept inside, in order to monitor the outside firework activities. The baby started to cry and so my sister went in. While gone a neighbor handed my then three year old niece a sparkler. Within five minutes the kids were screaming Kayla is on fire. Needless to say she suffered third degree burns and my sister spent the next 6 months scrubbing her back as she shrieked in pain. So beware of sparklers...I must say this is one otherwise fun activity I will skip with my kids. Another experience I will never forget.


I always look forward to enjoying a fun summer day with family and friends. I am most grateful to be so spoiled in America and hope I can find ways to spread the wealth throughout my life. Here's hoping for a safe and memorable patriotic day!
What was your best and worst Fourth of July?

1 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

I'm not sure I can think of a best or worst, but I'm there with you on the sparklers. Luckily we've never had a horrible experience like that, but just the possibility of a burn makes us stay away from the sparklers. People think we are too strict, but come on, who was the bright one that came up with the idea of giving little kids sticks that spew fire?

Hope this 4th is great for you and your family!