Saturday, June 28, 2008

WALL-E


Today the community we live in opened a new model home village! Along with the festivities they were giving away five thousand..that's right, five thousand free tickets to see the new family movie WALL-E. So of course we ran right over there and enjoyed the music, food and house viewing. Afterwards we took the family to see the movie.


Spencer and I have always been GREEN or environmentally friendly but this movie sparked some thoughts on the matter. I will never forget an environmental health course I took in college where we visited several waste sites to see first hand where our trash goes. We also went to slaughter houses, hill air force base, sewer facilities to see what happens to all sorts of waste. There is nothing like being there and seeing the piles and piles! Every time I throw something away I think of this. I love Jack Johnson's song the three r's- REDUCE, REUSE, and RECYCLE.


WALL-E also made me think about how we consume so much in America and obesity is an epidemic. This is something I can work on! I wanted to jump out of my movie seat and start jogging around the block a few hundred times. As much as I love Costco, I always think this is America at its best, wheeling out carts full of Diet Coke!
Overall the movie was very sweet with an unusaul love story! And the hope that maybe we can pull it together and start HUGGING some serious amounts of TREES!


Do you recycle?
Have you ever visited a land fill or other waste facility?
Do you haul out large amounts of Diet Coke from Costco?

3 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

We are excited to see this movie... and we try to be as green as we can, but I'm amazed at the amount of waste we generate. I've taken thing to the dump before, but that's the extent of my "landfill" experience. We love Jack Johnson's song too... hopefully we can be better at the three Rs.

Jen said...

Hi! Great post. I'm probably not as green as I used to be, but I don't waste on purpose. We love the J.J. song too. I have been to a sewage treatment plant with students before. It was disgusting but that's not a waste that's going away. I have not quite resorted to buying Diet Coke in bulk yet, but I'll admit that I do enjoy it. It's probably my worst habit. We all have to have our vices, right??

Christy P. said...

At least buying in bulk from Costco cuts down on the packaging...

Seriously, we have identified several small goals and it is so gratifying to achieve them. For example, always bringing cloth bags to the store instead of accepting plastic bags. When we go on a trip and want a plastic bag to pack shoes in, we don't have any!