The weather man forecasts 60's for the next few days. So what do we do to make ourselves feel better about these chilly and often rainy "summer" days...we whip up a big batch of corn chowder. Nothing is better than good soup on a chilly day. I really love this recipe and my kids will eat an adult portion of this dish!

4-5 potatoes
1 bag of frozen corn (or two cans corn) - Fresh corn from the cob would be awesome but work!
1/2 cup onion (or two tbsp dehydrated onion)
1/4 cup of butter
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp pepper
2 cups chicken stock (2 cups water with three bouillon cubes)
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Peel and cut potatoes. Boil until tender. Use potato water to make chicken stock. In another pan melt butter and saute onion. Add flour, mustard, and pepper. Over medium heat slowly whisk in milk until really thick and bubbly. Add chicken stock and bring to boil again. Add corn and potatoes and bring to boil. Finally add cheese, stirring until melted. Season to taste with pepper.Serve with really good cracked wheat sour dough! Eat up!
This is a great way to snuggle down and get all toasty. It will feel like summer on the inside. I am sure the sunshine will blaze on by soon and we will all be turning off our stoves and firing up the grills for good! But here is one more chance for soup with a summer corn flare!

4 comments:
Yum - I do a similar dish with sweet potatoes instead of the regular. Then it is dressed with cilantro and jalapenos. We really like Mexican-style food at our house!
I made this and it was a big hit. Thanks!
I am glad your fam liked it Jen! I think it sounds tastey mexican style as well Christy!
This sounds so yummy! I hate to say I'm wishing for rain... but I'd love a chance to try this out!
Post a Comment