Everyone loves a good roller coaster to thrill during summer months. I myself love the adrenalin rush but when it comes to parenting sometimes I want the peaceful bump free train ride instead of the wild ride. With laughter around one corner, screams around another and the dreaded wetting of the pants! Yes being a parent of toddlers is twisted and full of daily ups and downs.
Today Spencer had the day off so we headed up Millcreek Canyon for a hike. This part of the roller coaster was all uphill with smiles and happiness. As we passed through waist high flowers butterflies surrounded us. We named this butterfly alley(too bad I didn't have my camera). Our kids love to hike and really love to put there feet in the chilly water running down the mountain. As we are hiking Miles says "shhh..there are kangaroos!" I find myself laughing out loud at this point on the ride. Stella is really in her element hiking and collects walking sticks for the whole family. Brighton jabbers while riding in the backpack and giggles as I smother him with kisses when we stop for water breaks.
All the sunshine and fun comes to a halt when the roller coaster starts down hill. And the screaming begins. This usually starts about dinner time for sweet firecracker Miles (who avoids naps). As I worked over a hot stove...ha! I presented my cute little screaming family with orange chicken, stir fry, pot stickers, and strawberries. Miles who is now beside himself says it is to hot and shoves his plate, which then falls to the ground! I felt like a cartoon character beet red and steam coming out of my ears. The roller coaster is really chugging along now.
After the dinner fiasco we decide to venture out once more for family night and visit a new park in our neighborhood. Once again the roller coaster is fun as we climb the huge dome with ladders and ropes to maneuver around on. But a dramatic drop brings chaos on our roller coaster as Miles needs a drink, Stella is hot, and Brighton tired. Time to speed up and get home fast!
As the roller coaster pulls in we feel exhilarated, tired, and out of breath. We look at the ride resting peacefully, innocent tucked into bed and we feel proud that we made it. With a kiss goodnight we say, ok....lets go again!!!!


2 comments:
I love it! I can just picture sweet little hot headed Miles! That kid makes me laugh! My advice is just enjoy because soon they will not want to go with you and will be too cool for everything!
And this, my friend, is life. You hit it right on the head. One big roller coaster. I think it will do me good to refer to your blog when experiencing one of those "stomach jumps to your throat" drops to remind me that after every drop is the uphill thrill. Thanks for the perspective!
Post a Comment