Thursday, January 20, 2011

Food Rules

This is my new favorite little book of nutrition tid bits. Micheal Pollan is a talented author and investigative reporter that has written some interesting books on Nutrition in America. This one goes back to the simplicity of nutrition in straight forward easy to understand rules. Be sure to read the intro to understand the idea behind the book. It is a very short read and really a tool. Tonight I started to read these rules to my nutrition students and had great response. Some of my favorites are.."Don't eat cereal that will change the color of your milk.", "Treat, treats, as treats.", "Eat a variety of color everyday", "Avoid food products that contain more than five ingredients" (unless they are all healthy items), "Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.", etc. Things that I have been saying for so long. But I really love the simplicity of the overall theme of the book.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly Plants.

3 comments:

Nat said...

I'm into this but feel like its a little expensive and hard. I'll have to get that book. Will you in your new posts everyday post some recipes of things your family digs? I need some new healthy ideas. :)

Melanie said...

Looks like a great book! I want to read it, but for some reason the Kindle version is more expensive than the book. Crazy huh?!

Kristy said...

Natalie-It is hard and I have to admit I don't always follow it. I was thinking that I would post some recipes and hope someone out there will enjoy them!!

Melanie-Weird that the kindle version was more. I didn't pay too much for it on Amazon. I was thinking about you all yesterday. I hope you were able to celebrate your mom. Take Care.