Monday, October 12, 2009

Spooky Seventy

It is spooky that my dad is 70 years old-officially on October 13! It makes me feel old even though I was the tail end of seven kids. And look how handsome he was as a young fellow. There are so many endearing things about my dad. My siblings and I wanted to create a party to celebrate those things!!! And so we threw him a Happy Haunting Birthday Bash. We spread the word to all his siblings, my mom's siblings, great aunts, cousins, etc to get this party going. The kids and a few of us brave adults dressed up for the occasion. There was a great turn out of people who love my dad. He was like a dad to all his siblings. And the best dad we could ask for. We had so many great soups and salads. My sister made homemade root beer and there were plenty of desserts to feed the crowd. The table centerpieces were even edible... black caldrons filled with homemade carmel corn. The Halloween music was pumping and the kids were staying busy playing twister, spider racing, and coloring spooky pictures. I created a table with a few of the things my dad loves and everyone added to it! This was his gift. My brother made copies of on old photo of my Grandma, dad, and aunt for everyone. My sister-n-law made a poster of all the things that we love about Grandpa Ronnie and we read this aloud. Some of the things I listed were; he taught us the value of education, he always made us feel like he was proud, he is so kind and generous (never disciplined us), spoiled us rotten, loves junk food, cried when we were sealed as a family, great provider, tells us often that he loves us, great babysitter and Grandpa, says funny things in his sleep, has probably checked the air in my tires a million times, asked if I had my cell phone, asked if I had gas (in my car that is) ...... the list could go on and on. That leads me to one of my momentum gifts that I gave him, an engraved tire gauge. It read "Thanks Ronnie! 2009" I have been told many times that I am like my dad. I take that as a compliment because he LOVES his family and is such a kind and good man. Happy 70th Birthday Dad! We love you.















5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Isn't it weird to see our parents get older? My dad is close to 60, and for some reason it seems like he hasn't aged a day since I got married. Thank heavens though, I think they get more patient, and we get more understanding! Hope you don't mind me snooping...cute blog!

Steph (Caldwell) Tucker

Seth and Karen said...

CUTE idea! I am going to have to copy some of those great ideas. My dad turns seventy next year. Where does the time go?!

sachia said...

Wow, great ideas for the party! I am going to copy the Seventy ways we love Grandpa. Way cute!

Jay said...

Sorry we weren't there. It looks like a good time!

Jen said...

What a great party. You and your siblings are very thoughtful. Love the pic with your dad.