skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Wicked, Central Park, The Met....oh my! There truly is nothing like a little New York City trip in the fall. My sister-n-law is a very talented seamstress and creates great curtain ideas that she markets in New York City to the big companies. You can see some of her work in JC Penny and soon Bed Bath and Beyond. She invites friends and family to come along, so this trip my sister, my niece, and I tagged along for some pure New York fun! We took the red eye flight in and hit the yellow brick road running. We did get a little sleep and eating in but mostly ran from one fantastic event to the next. We were delirious at points and I am convinced that the cashier at the deli where we were buying our midnight herbal tea thought we had lost our minds because of the incessant laughing. Mostly it was a great break from our daily routine to get some adult playing time in one of the great cities. I always come home rejuvenated and so grateful to be the mom of three very lovely munchkins. Because we know there is no place like home Toto.
A 6:30 am run to one of the many tasty bakeries/delis in the city that never sleeps. We were taking this quite literally and waiting to sleep when we got home.
The New York City temple...a refuge surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the city. We attended a meeting here where it was the primary program. All 16 kids were adorable and full of New York character. I can't imagine what it would be like to raise children in Manhattan or to be raised there.
One of our strolls through Central Park. We were asked many times if we were sisters. And the answer is YES. I love this lady and I loved sharing this experience with her. I have been to New York before but this was her first trip to NYC and she was so HAPPY that I drug her there.
The talented Ms. Danelle and her daughter (my niece) Brittany. I think that Brittany really enjoyed her trip to the big Apple. She loved the big toy stores and Natural History Museum where Night at the Museum was filmed.
Ice-skating even when it is 60 degrees.
Central park is enchanting with its musicians, bridges, ponds, and all the people sucking in a little nature in a such a place.
One of many bridges in Central park...I just wish I could truly capture its beauty.
The tour bus system is great. You get to ride an open air bus and find out interesting facts like where John Lennon was shot, or where Audrey Hepburn lived. Just short of the "I heart NYC" tee shirt we were the ultimate tourists.
For me there are no words to describe attending a Broadway Play especially one like Wicked. I found myself getting a little choked up at the end, one because it is a moving song, two because I was so excited to be there, and three I was a little sad it was over. I found myself jumping from my seat and clapping in a very enthusiastic standing ovation with the rest of the crowd.
The famous Gershwin theatre.
Anyone that knows me...knows that all these pictures of me is really difficult. I LOVE photography but I like to be behind the camera!! I didn't have my kids or hubby to photograph and my sister wouldn't model so here I am smiling again and again for the camera. I did manage to get a few good shots of the city without me in it! Our hotel was right in Time Square.
A self portrait of me and my sis riding the big red bus.
Since this was my sister's first visit we made the trek to the top of the Empire State Building. And here I gaze across the very impressive city.
I loved the charm of Greenwich Village. I felt like a local walking in the park and eating at a deli with all the NYU students.
At the famous arch and fountain of Washington Square in Greenwich village.
The ferry ride to the Statue of Liberty.

It looks like someone photo shopped me in here.
We did try to experience every mode of transportation including the plunge down to the subway, the ferry to Staten Island, and of course a taxi cab ride.
I know Phantom is old news but for some reason I have never attended this Broadway Musical. I have wanted to see it ever since I was 10 years old. I played the music on the piano. I read the book. I watched the movie over and over. And finally this can be marked of my life's list. I gave this ticket to my sister for her birthday and it is something we will always remember.
Our last day it rained and we were glad! It scared off all the people at the Today Show so we were right behind the cast and on TV. Did you see us??
St. Patrick's cathedral is majestic and amazing to see. My niece sad it was weird and smelt funny. Or in other words...different and educational to a child.
If you have a daughter and get the chance to experience a three level American Girl Doll store I would highly recommend it. It was fully equipped with a doll hospital, salon, cafe, and clothes design center. I bought Stella a mini doll (because she is asking Santa for a full size one). I was wishing she would have been with me. Maybe we will visit the one in LA.
The movie "Night at the Museum" was filmed at this really large and historical Natural History Museum.
Brittany made about 10 trips in to Toys R Us. We rode in a Barbie car round and round on the Ferris wheel inside the store.
The rain maid the fall colors even more brilliant and the walk to the Metropolitan Museum was unbelievable. The pond was surrounded by bright beautiful leaves. All the photographers were out!
So many wonderful art pieces to experience at the Met. Like the Sunflowers painted by some guy named Vincent van Gogh. On special exhibit was Vermeer's painting "The Milk Maid"
Coming out of the Met and getting ready to hale a cab back to the hotel just in time to catch our ride back to the airport! And so I got my I "heart" New York t-shirt, gained courage to navigate through a big city even late at night, and exercised my brain with all the information and museums. I clicked my heels together and happily made my way home. There is no place like home, there is no place like home...
6 comments:
How wonderful for you! I spent time there exactly a year ago! There truly is nothing better than a New England fall. I loved Wicked and know exactly how you feel. We saw Phantom a few years ago. A classic! I enjoyed your pictures of everything, especailly central park. Welcome home!
I think I have missed my calling in life to be a broadway musical star! Too bad I lack the talent...my kids would concur. Oh well I will keep belting it out in the car.
Wow! That looks like an amazing trip. It has been almost 10 years since I've been there. I would love to go back. It was fun to see so many pics of you...you are very photogenic!
Jen the last time I went there was when I was just barely pregnant with Stella (I didn't even know I was pregnant). But that was 7 years ago. You should go back...especially in the fall.
So fun that you got to go with your sister.. Makes me want to go back!
That is so exciting that you got to go there! I have been trying to arrange a girlfriend trip for 2 years now. You have inspired me to try again because that looked like the best time ever! Glad you got to go and enjoy your girl time!
Post a Comment