Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Winter BLAH and HOORAH!

Winter insanity has set in and how do we break free from the chains of ice......
First: GO OUTSIDE, yes it might be cold but there is nothing like cold crisp air to open up the old lungs.
Here is Stella's first ski trip last year...that lasted about 15 minutes on the tow rope. It is free to use the tow rope and you can ski on one lift for free after three at Alta! This year it is lessons for Stella while she is on track break. Cross country skiing and snow shoeing are among my favorite activities that I don't do often enough! They are free (if you have the equipment) and great exercise. But of course one needs to be avalanche savvy. There are lots of safe places to go!
Of course ice-skating is always a treat. If you have small kids, like me, find the rinks that allow you to push an umbrella stroller around the rink. That way the whole family can participate. Wear thick socks or two pair! Stella sped along the side and never complained that two shocking, bleeding blisters were forming from her hard skates! She has healed and is ready to hit the ice again!
Sledding is a favorite pass time. Spencer builds a hill in the backyard so if you don't feel like packing the whole family along or the baby is sleeping just send the kiddos out in the FENCED backyard for a little sled time fun!

Get creative!


SECOND: GO INSIDE, search high and low for those fun activities that will keep the walls of your house from caving in on you.

The dinosaur museum is a favorite. This lovely photo is when Miles was taking up residence inside me...look how little Stella is. So cute.


We are aquarium regulars since a annual family pass was only $35 dollars. Well worth the moola.


The more pricey Children's Museum at the gateway is so much fun, although I do admit to envision germs covering the place. Just bring sanitizer! You can buy a family pass for 6 months at a reasonable price to get you through the winter.

Home craft time, baking, snuggling in for hot cocoa and a good movie. Visits to the library for story time. Some of my wintertime favorites.

THIRD: If all else fails, HEAD SOUTH! We have some great retreats in Utah not too far. And it is perfect to hike and play outside in a lot of areas down south in the winter or early spring. Yes it would be nice to go to Hawaii or Mexico but arches is just a short three hour drive southeast of my casa.

While I try to enjoy winter, those gray days come along and I just can't seem to escape the bleakness.....So I pack up the kids and take them to Carl's Jr. to romp around on the indoor playground for a good hour. It does seem ironic to exercise on the play equipment while stuffing your little cheeks with french fries and chicken made into stars. But really it is the only time we see the inside or feed at a fast food joint! And what a treat those wee ones think it is!

So to myself and all those who are enduring winter...enjoy its numbered days because before we know it the tulips will be poking through the thawing ground, warm will go to hot, and we will all head to the pool hoping to cool off! I am so glad we have four seasons!

6 comments:

Tara said...

Perfect title! I have completely forgotten what it is like to live somewhere with 4 seasons. We did LOVE Nebraska, but the cold isn't for me.
I always felt bad that I wasn't taking Lincoln out enough to play in the snow. Long story short. I finally took him out, which lasted for only 2 minutes when I realized his lips were turning blue and teeth chattering. It was like 30 below with wind chill! I didn't think to check the weather first because it was so sunny. Looks can be so deceiving.

I do miss 4 seasons though:(!

Rina said...

THANK YOU!!! Great ideas! I really need to get over my GERMAPHOBE problem. That would help my winter insanity.

CB said...

I am loving winter this year. And although I said when it snowed that I was glad it only happened once in awhile I am really missing it!! We are headed up to Brian Head (after seeing the new baby) for a little snow action! Yes, it seems as if spring (or summer if you live here) is right around the corner...again. :)

Kristy said...

How about park days in the winter??? We did just get that new park by the lake Catrina!! It looks like a fun one and it is going to have swings!

sachia said...

Shut the front door! I am dying that you found my blog, lady! I don't even know how to search for people, just learned how to blog late last year. E-mail me at gosachia@hotmail.com if you get a sec, I would love to catch up!! Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!

sachia said...

HI to Spencer too and your kids are just beautiful!