Friday, January 23, 2009

A Birthday Wish

(the Birthday lady, my sister, my brother, and brother-in-law)
Happy Happy Birthday to my greatest example...my MOM!! My sweet mother celebrated another year yesterday. My mom is the parent that all the parenting text books were created around. My brother took all the love and logic classes and came out saying that is my mom. And she has never picked up such a book or took such a class, it just came natural. My mom loved and spoiled us all so much that we each thought that we were her favorite child. She always knew what and what not to say. She let us make our own decisions but we always knew where she stood. My mom was the parent that loaded all of my friends into our big blue van and hauled us everywhere. The parties were always at our home. And instead of being the annoying parent that checked in on the party, she was always the COOL mom that brought down her famous carmel popcorn and bread sticks. My old friends occasionally run into her and gush over what fond memories they have at our home making bread sticks until midnight or our jr. high dances in the basement. She always loved my friends unconditionally, even when I brought home long haired boys!!! She got up every morning and made hot breakfast. When I came home from skiing there was hot soup. My mom always made sure we were well fed. It is probably why I have such a healthy appetite now!! She loved to take us shopping, hiking, talking, traveling and just hanging out with us. We were her social life. She let us know that we could do anything and with her we always felt so important. She trusted us.When we moved to Vegas my mom flew there every week for six months to watch Stella while I finished out my job before having Miles. I really can't list everything. It would be impossible. We were and are her life. Even now when I watch her with my children I am amazed. They adore her and I am grateful that she is my mother and their grandmother. I just hope..pray...dream...of modeling her parenting. Happy Birthday Mom!

3 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

I agree, your mom is wonderful. I am happy that I know her, even in a small way! Happy birthday Kathy!

Melanie said...

What a blessing to have such a fabulous mom. It sounds like she's also a wonderful grandma.

Kelly Jensen said...

Oh Kathy! I love you too! Happy, Happy birthday to one of the best moms I know! I remember those breadsticks, carmel popcorn, van rides and jr high dances like yesterday. I also remember someone dropping the cars transmission and us "cutting newspaper strips all over your back yard... you were always so sweet... I have NEVER seen you mad! You are AMAZING!