Friday, December 5, 2008

Honeymoon Take-Two

Just over ten years ago Spencer and I tied the knot and moved into a town home in Logan. Jen and Jer, our good friends, just one month later tied the knot and moved into the same town homes! The rest is a history of friendship and adventure. We have had a lot of great memories backpacking, skiing,etc... and all with a lot of laughing. Having children slowed us down just a tiny bit but we thought it would be fun to celebrate our marriages of ten years in a very adventurous trip to Mexico together!! And adventurous, invigorating, relaxing, and fun it was!



The happy couple....this was our first trip with NO KIDS! I was stressed before we left but once there it was such a welcome and needed vacation time with my sweet hubster! We spent a lot of time playing and enjoying the sunshine at the beach.
Here is Jen and Jer enjoying a (non-alcoholic) daiquiri. The waiters walked the beaches along our hotel making sure we were all hydrated. I think we downed about 20 a day!

Reading a book on the beach is unheard of when you have three kids so I took advantage. But I have to admit, I didn't get to far into my book with all the interesting people watching to do!




Jer and Spencer getting ready to take the plunge. The water was so warm and I haven't swam so much in the ocean for a long time. There wasn't any seaweed and the water was so clear. We attempted to body surf with the help of a very nice elderly man from South Africa. He seemed to have super powers as he hovered above the water all the way to the shore!

Here we are gearing up to go kayaking in the Lagoon in front of our Hotel. Watch out for crocodiles. We didn't see any in this lagoon but did see some in one outside of the Coba Mayan ruins. Never smile at a crocodile....



One night we headed into town and went to a really great aquarium. They had lots of great things to see and experience. Including this dolphin show. You can swim with the dolphins here, as well as several places in Mexico. You could also get in a tank and go down into the water to feed the sharks!

Two days we did some really great excursions! Here we are at Xelha. It is a very nice park with lots of exciting things to do. This is the inlet where we snorkeled with really "long tubes".Ha! We saw some cool things like a stingray burying itself in the sand. We also rode bikes up a hill to the top of the river. While riding some mysterious furry creatures crossed our path. EEK! At the top of the river we got our tubes for floating down the crystal clear blue river. As we plopped onto the tubes Jer did quite the maneuver straight into the water giving us a good laugh. The river started in a tunnel of trees. Very cool. Unfortunately I couldn't get pics because it was a little wet! Along the river we also went cliff jumping! It has been about 10 years since I took such a jump!

After Xelha we headed to Tulum. The only Mayan ruins right on the coast. This site was very interesting and beautiful along the beach line!
Here is Spencer reading on our balcony! It was a room with a view! Room service was included in our package so every night we enjoyed a little herbal tea with this breath of fresh sea air!
This was our second adventure which also happened to be my birthday!! We traveled at high speeds on a jungle tour with our guide Adrienne. It started with a repel into the jungle. And then across the zip line. Our guide took my break stick when I told him I might pull it in the middleof the zip line. I really thought I was going to crash into the other side but there was a break...WHEW! STELLA, MILES, BRIGHTON ran through my head as I thought death was on the end of the zip line. It was really fun!


Here is Jer on the zip of death! After this we kayaked to our next destination. We took a little hike in the jungle where we spotted a spider monkey swinging in the trees!
After the hike we participated in an ancient Mayan ceremony with a local medicine man. And then prepared for our swim underground in this really amazing cave seen above. There was stalactite everywhere and we had a great time swimming around down below.
Then it was time for lunch with the bunch. Very tasty sopapillas, rice, and black beans. With traditional Mexican Candy for a little treat!

And if that wasn't enough....we headed off to Coba, the only Mayan ruin you can still climb. We rode bikes up the trail to the base of the ruin. Here is Spencer and Jen a long the trail!

Jen and Jer at the bottom of the ruin.

The steep climb up...up...up!

At the top with an amazing jungle view. This was such an amazing birthday. One of the best I have had in a long time!! I am such an adventurer at heart. Spencer surprised me at this ruin with my birthday gift. He brought a new ipod all the way down to Mexico to give me for my birthday and it was loaded with all my favorite music so I could use it on the trip. I found this to be so thoughtful and sweet! That night we headed to Hard Rock Cafe downtown for a great night of food and a little trip down rock-n-roll history.

We had to keep reminding ourselves that it was Christmas time in this 80 degree weather!

Goodbye to paradise...

and the Lap of Luxury!

I love family vacations but this trip was something I really NEEDED! As I sat on the van listening to my new ipod I felt 20 again. Free and full of life! Spencer and I have always been so close. And this trip reminded me in a real and tangible way of how Spencer and I fell in love. It was a second honeymoon and we loved spending it with some great friends. We had some really good laughs. I am sure people thought we were drunk! But we were the no-alcohol crew. The kids were excited to have mom and dad back but miss Grandma already. I am grateful to have those sweet angels and I am grateful for this time just with the love of my life (sorry about the cheese)!

7 comments:

Tara said...

You took me back about 10 and a half years ago with this post because your 2nd honeymoon was essentially our first (except no friends came with us). We went to Cancun, we stayed at a resort on the beach and did all the ruins and such, it was a blast, but I think it would so fun to go back!!! I'm so happy for you to get a break. We went to Mexico (different part) last year for 10 days and it was so refreshing. The beach there looked crystal clear, how wonderful!

Melanie said...

What a great trip and wonderful adventure. I'm so glad you got to go!!

Mama Williams said...

I am so glad you posted pictures! What a wonderful time, I'm sure you'll always remember.

Rina said...

Looks like so much fun!! We did many of the same things for our 10th--zip line, kayaking, snorkeling--so much fun!!! You are the cutest couple!!
AND
HAPPY Belated BIRTHDAY!!

Angie said...

It looks like you guys had fun! I'm glad you had a Happy Birthday! We will see you tomorrow!

Jen said...

Hi! You're putting me to shame with already having this blogged about. We had such a great time. I'm still laughing about a few of our little adventures...black pants, tube flips, long tubes...fun. We definitely need to get together before years pass again!! P.S. I'm pretty sure some of those pics of me at Coba may fit the "too hideous to be blogged" criteria. (Just kidding--I don't really care.)

Lisa R.D. said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time--and a great birthday! I'm glad you and Spencer got to go on this trip together, that is great!