
Family night can be simple and fun! I am not the type to have fancy homemade games or props because I find that overwhelming and my kids are so little they hardly notice. So I have stuck with simple. The Friend magazine that the church provides every month is my favorite tool to use. With three very small kids it has got to be quick, to the point, and memorable. So last night we went to a new park in our neighborhood and read the story Pirates from the Friend. It was a story about the power of prayer. After the story, I hid pirate treasures all over the park for them to find. There is sand all around the park so it was a great place to hide the treasures and pretend that the playground was the ship. As we looked I made little points about prayer and how it can help us. All three loved this game and took turns hiding the treasures. Brighton enjoyed sampling the rocks and dirt. It was a little cool last night so when we got home we had hot chocolate to top it off. This is my kind of family night. Stress free, with a lesson, and enjoyable for everyone!

5 comments:
That is so creative! I love it! What a great Mommy!! I just read this quote that ties right in:
"Latter-day Saint women should understand that no matter how many other people they enlist to help them with their home and children, they cannot delegate their role as the primary nurturer and teacher of their families. As a daughter of God who has made covenants with Him, each of you carries the vital and indispensable female half of the responsibility for fulfilling the Lord's plan" (Julie B. Beck, "Unlocking the Door to the Blessings of Abraham," CES Fireside for Young Adults, March 2, 2008).
Sounds fun. I'm always looking for FHE ideas. I agree--simple is best.
You're awesome..I may have to steal your idea! :) I am counting down the days to when I can break out the hot chocolate!! Lucky you! :)
The Friend is also my favorite!!! I've been in a FHE lesson exchange--I use them because I have them but the Friend is my favorite.
Love the park & pirate idea!
You came up with a wonderful FHE Kristy. Thanks for sharing. The Friend has such great stories! I end up crying whenever I read them to my kids.
Post a Comment