Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Day at the State Fair

These cows were so cute and reminded me of the HAPPY cows in the Alps of Switzerland!
Check out the goatee on this pack goat!
Give the furry friends some love!
Bunny rabbits!
Hot, hot, hot!
This is the cute hands on farm. Each child got a basket to collect all sorts of farm items.
Collecting corn to feed the cow. There was a big plastic cow that you could actually milk!

Driving the John Deer tractor trikes around with hay and produce in a trailer behind!

Miles could barely reach the pedals.



Reaping the harvest.
Planting the seeds.
Collecting the apples.
They had wool and eggs to collect as well. Then the kiddos took it to the market where they gave them a farm dollar to spend at the store. They could buy real cereal or apples! I thought this was so educational. It took them from planting the seeds, to harvest, the market, and finally to buying the product at the store! Educational and fun!



A day at the *!x:*! Fair! Sorry to all of those that love this fair. I haven't been to the State Fair for years so why not take the kiddos to see some farm animals and have a funnel cake? Here is why not....$8 per adult to get in ($6 if you get them at Smiths), every ride is $3-5 dollars, games are at least $5-10, parking $5, food $5-$8 per person, lots of expensive JUNK to buy etc, etc, etc.... Disneyland prices but definitely not the magical Disneyland. So after dragging through this glorified carnival we found ourselves on the outer rim of the fair! The Fair's redeeming quality. This is where all the educational and free stuff is! The prize animals were so fun for the kids to check out! They loved the HUGE cows and pigs. One pig was 800 pounds. There were cute baby ones as well. There were all sorts of fowl and Miles was very entertaining while imitating the roosters call! There was a bunny that looked just like the velveteen rabbit. We went down the big yellow slide but at a cost! And topped it off at the best thing about the fair, a hands on farm experience for the kids. It had children museum quality and we all had a great time.. That is where I took most of my photos. Really one of the only things worthy of picture taking. The kids had a great time at the fair and we parents felt like it was a trip worth taking ONCE!

7 comments:

Sunny said...

Oh. . . the fair! We splurged last year and learned our lesson. I think I would go again if I had free tickets. The kids do love seeing the animals, though. Have a good week! See you at the Kindergarten gates. Can we have Stella and Myles come play?

Christie said...

We went this year because we had free tickets & I had to explain to Joshua that he couldn't have a pony ride because it cost $4 per child! We did enjoy the "little hands on the farm" exhibit and Neil hasn't stopped talking about the baby pigs.

Kristy said...

Miles and Stella would love to play! We just need to get rid of Stella's nasty eye infection first!I am just praying for health to return to our house soon!

CB said...

Sorry, but it looks like sooo much fun! Animals are usually a hit with our kiddos too. I love all the wonderful outings you guys take as a family!!

Jenny said...

Looks like you had a fun day. We're really big fair people too. Not. ;)
We've lived here for 12 years and we've never been to the big county fair! We keep saying "next year" we'll go.

Angie said...

I am just sitting here laughing to myself. Way to say it like it is! It sounds like I will just learn from your experience and skip that adventure. Get better! We hope to see you soon at Grammie's.

Kristy said...

Yes, we have lovingly named it the ghetto fair with a tiny bit (I mean tiny) of the charm from Charlottes Web when Wilbur goes to the State Fair!