Saturday, September 6, 2008

Letting GO

















Its official Stella is in Kindergarten and I am a mom with kids in elementary school. Stella has been looking forward to the first day and I have been trying hard to keep a happy face for her! Her school is still semi-under construction and brand new so things are still being organized. Which adds to the anxiety. When we arrived all her neighborhood buddies were lining up in their new school clothes and shiny faces ready to enter this new world of "big schools". There are about 8 girls that she is friends with starting as well as her buddy Jasper! Stella did not seem worried at all but I was practicing my breathing and keeping the tears in so she didn't think there was anything to be worried about. When I look at her I still see that little baby with the brown ponytail sticking up and big blue almond shape eyes. She pretends like she is embarrassed when we cradle her and say she will always be our baby girl but I know she is soaking it up. This is just the first step of letting go in her life. I already worry about college, missions, and marriage. I know she will achieve great things and I am so proud of her. While lining up, one of Stella's little friends was feeling a little sad and her mom asked Stella to take care of her. Stella immediately took her hand and held it tight in the line until they went to class. Her sweet friend was just fine. And I felt the tears coming. I can check that one of my list of hopes....learning to love others! I snuck a picture of Stella while in class and she looked up at me with those sweet eyes that said "mom I am fine, you can go!"Can I? Can I leave her there in that big class to fend for herself. Yes, I did and I am so excited for all her adventures to come.

Miles started preschool the same day. His buddy Clayson is in the class and the teacher may have to tie them to their seats to get them to stop wrestling. Boys are so hilarious. These two have the funniest conversations about Speed Racer and monsters in the yard. Miles had a great first day and I am relishing these few years of preschool before I have to send him to a big school too! He is such a spirited little guy, I know he will always be able to accomplish anything!

4 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

Your pictures are so great--the first day of kindergarten is so hard (the first day of first grade, and second grade, etc. are too, but not as emotional!). I love listening to conversations to and from school (and preschool)--it's like a little window into the minds of our sweet kids--especially when they forget there's a mom in the car.

CB said...

Oh Kristy...first days are definitely so, so hard! I love the backpacks-that-are-just-too-big-for-a-little-kid's-body pictures!! Hang in there!

Jen said...

What a sweet story. They do grow up so fast.

Kirkland's said...

I've been reading all the weepy moms posts about kids going to school, so sweet! I will feel the same emotions, I hate leaving my kids with sitters! Cute lil' Stella with her big heart.