With Mother's Day right around the corner I thought I would start the string of Mother's Day posts off with a recipe that would be great for any special occasion brunch. In Spain it is a dinner dish and I often make it for dinner. The kids eat it up and Spencer loves it. I first learned to make this when I was in college. (remember "no hair" Brett Sachia?) A friend of ours introduced us to someone from his mission in Spain and she cooked us this yummy frittata. I have been making it ever since. You could add whatever vegetables you would like. Making it Italian, Mexican, or whatever you are craving. Here is my simple way to keep the family eating.

Garden Frittata for Mama
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cups potatoes diced into tiny cubes (enough to fill the bottom of a skillet)
1/2 cup green pepper
1/2 cup red pepper
1/2 cup onion
About 8 eggs (2 cups) beaten well - You can use egg beaters if concerned about cholesterol
Add a little milk or water to make them fluffy.
Salt and Pepper the eggs to taste
2 cups cheese (whatever flavor you are in the mood for-mozzarella would be your low fat choice)
Cook the potatoes, peppers, and onions in the olive oil over medium high heat until tender. Press them into the skillet so there is a single layer on the bottom. Pour the beaten eggs over the vegetables. Cover and let cook on medium heat for about 8 minutes or until the eggs look firm. It may look a little moist on top. Remove the lid and add the cheese. Cook in a 350 degree oven uncovered until the cheese is melted. Serve with sliced oranges and homemade wheat bread with honey butter. My mouth is watering...mostly for the warm bread and honey butter. This is similar to quiche but it is so quick. I can make this in less than 30 minutes. I hope all the hot mammas out there are spoiled with some good fixings.

1 comments:
Sounds yummy! We'll have to put this on the menu when I'm back to cooking. . . maybe next week.
Post a Comment