Monday, May 11, 2009

The Royal Treatment

Definition of a Princess: Any women or girl regarded as being graceful, accomplished, or outstanding in some way. (yourdictionary.com) Spencer and I were having the conversation about whether or not all women were princesses. Spencer promptly picked up the dictionary and found a definition similar to the one above. So yes we are all princesses in some small and extraordinary way. Recently Brighton has been telling me that I am a princess. He pats my leg and says "mama princess" and then giggles. Most days I feel more like Cinderella covered in grime and waiting on people hand and foot.


But on Mother's Day I felt like the magic of motherhood and love transformed me into a princess with royal treatment. Even if it disappeared with the stroke of midnight.



When I awoke at a lovely time, I do believe there were birds chirping outside and the sun was shining. I could hear that there was mischief in the kitchen. It was later than my usual time to get up and feed the household. And within minutes my royal service began. Spencer (my prince) had made one of my favorite, French Toast with Fruit. Stella had given me her gift made at school, pop-tarts packaged beautifully in a paper bag that replicated me. Yes they came bearing gifts, kisses, and hugs. Stella was so excited to give me her gift. She hid it carefully in the basement and the night before said, Mom tomorrow is your BIG DAY! Miles has been wrapping up random change and creating works of art all week. My favorite picture was with him and Stella adorned with their endearing freckles.



At church we sat on the royal cushy seats, close enough to hear the sweet serenade of the children. Always a tear jerker for this princess. And then we headed to visit the moms. The men cooked on the BBQ at my sweet mothers. And I made a strawberry shortcake to share with Spencer's mom and his family.




I know that I could not have been blessed with a better mother. She is an angel. I am grateful for all the women in my life. And hope that their inner princess was released to celebrate this beautiful and exhausting role of motherhood!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

It sounds like you had a lovely Mother's Day! You deserve it!

Christie said...

Happy mothers day! (I love the Cinderella analogy..) :-)

sachia said...

Ok, after reading this I'm ready for Disneyland...let's go!!!! You are so lucky to have such a little house of love and a hubby who directed your day! I really try not to cry when I read these SMOOPY posts...I'm secretly a sucker for them.

CB said...

Hooray!! Sounds like you had an amazing day!! :) Happy Mom's day to you. :)