Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I Am Thankful post #1


Because I have so much to be thankful for, I will jump on the bandwagon of sharing my thoughts of gratitude on my blog in November. And today it is being a mom, plain and simple. I remember the day I looked in my cupboards and all I saw were adult size glasses. I knew it was time to start multiplying our family. I was in the depth of a career I loved and didn't know how I would melt into the culture of a stay home mom. So after a few years of working on making a family Stella arrived and I worked part time. And then just two years later a wonderful red head surprise showed up and we called him Miles. It was then that I made the full plunge into staying home with my kids. I would go to the park without snacks, forget jackets, feel frazzled but eventually I got the hang of it. Finally while hiking around snowbird Mr. Brighton made his debut. Some days are hard but it is a wild ride that I cherish and am grateful to have. I once had someone ask me if it was difficult for me to let go of my career after working so hard in school. I could honestly answer it was hard for me to make the decision but once I did it was like I could fly. I also said very matter of fact, "I will go back when the time is right." I still teach college courses one night a week to keep my life balanced. But these three people are a part of me and I can't imagine how gray and linear my life would be without them. They are my rollercoaster and I am enjoying the colorful ride.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I'm with you. It's truly amazing. (Although our kidless trip was quite nice!) I'm planning to do some gratitude posts of my own soon. Thanks for the motivation.

CB said...

yay for being a mom. :) even with all the hard days, it is so worth it.

Kristy said...

It does sound cliche to say that it is the best job. But if it is true....it is true. I have never had so many rewards, the unconditional love is priceless.

sachia said...

That is why motherhood is called a "blessing", right? It is the best blessing with the most responsibilities. Especially when it comes time to bringing the snacks, sippy cups, extra sweaters right? If I had a dollar for everytime I forgot something....