Monday, September 7, 2009

Drugged Yet Still Polite

For the record....
It started out as a beautiful Sunday evening. We just finished a wonderful salmon dinner, made cookie dough for baking later, and were off on a stroll around the neighborhood. The air was crisp with a hint of fall being just around the corner. Stella and Miles rode their bikes and talked us into making a stop at the "Swing Park". Some of our neighbors were at the park so we stopped to say hello and the kids are happily going down the slide. But not even two minutes later I hear Brighton crying and find him lying beneath the monkey bars holding his arm. Stella is hovering over him trying to offer some comfort. I rush to him only to find his arm deformed into a S shape. Immediately I go white and realize we have our FIRST broken bone. Stella said Brighton wanted to try the monkey bars ( about four feet high) but jumps from the play equipment to her, knocking both of them over. So really he only fell about three feet. Stella felt so bad and I reassured her that it was an accident. I call to Spencer that Brighton has broken his arm. I think a little profanity slipped from his tongue as a very concerned Daddy checked out his arm. Then he was off sprinting on foot to get the car. Our neighbors were kind enough to keep Miles and Stella until my sister -in -law took them home to bed.



We went to our local kids care where they took one look at his arm and sent us straight to Primary Children's Hospital. They indicated he would have to be sedated for a non-invasive surgery to get his bones back into position. They splinted his arm and he was so much happier. But I was a mess. My sweet baby was in pain and I literally felt it. So splinted, elevated, and iced he rode asleep as we made the 30 minute drive to Primary Children's Hospital. I was so grateful my other two were sleeping peacefully at home.



Primary Children's ER was alive and active despite the late hours that were approaching us. And we were seen by the triage nurse then waited and waited and waited, got x-rays, waited and waited and waited until we finally got a room only to wait some more. Finally the Nurse Practitioner came to visit and he was wonderful. So sweet with Brighton. He got the ball rolling. And before we knew it they were putting in the IV (he did not even cry), giving him pain meds, sedating him and preparing him for the orthopedic doctor to work her magic. All the staff was really sweet and Brighton was such a trooper. He did not cry once but grunted when things got painful. He was desperately tired and had to be in so much pain. His forearm bones were snapped! Of course the pain meds were kicking in. We stepped out while they moved the bones back into place with the use of x-ray. They said we wouldn't want to see it. I paced and felt sick. But with no cries from the room I was at least sane.



Finally we were done and they gave him a popsicle to make sure he wasn't going to vomit. He was SOOOO loopy and it was a little endearing. He was naming the color of everything. And as I adjusted in the seat it made a sort of flatulent sound and Brighton said "Excuse You". Polite even when he is all doped up. It makes a mom proud.



Of course he crashed on the way home, and puked red popsicle all over me and him when we got home. But finally we put his PJs on and snuggled him into bed about 2am. He slept until his usual wake up time but took a FIVE hour nap today. Such a sweet boy and I adore him. It breaks my heart to see his little arm all bandaged up and in a sling. He has a temporary cast for now but will get a plaster one after the swelling goes down. And so we look forward to seven weeks of healing. Hopefully I will be over the trauma of seeing my baby all bent out of shape by then. With this being our first visit to the ER I feel initiated into another level of parenthood. I truly fear that this will not be our last visit to the emergency room!



Brighton's poor little bones snapped like a twig. His little hand looks so cute.

Wow. He really has the "give me sympathy" look on his face. And believe me he has been given an abundance of love and sympathy. Our sweet little playground war veteran.
A happier face with all the LOVE he is getting from his siblings. Stella and Miles are being sooo sweet with him and caring for his every need.

Heal quickly my baby boy. We love you.

9 comments:

CB said...

That is just so sad! I hope his arm heals quickly and as painless as possible! :)

Christie said...

So sad! Neil broke his leg when he was about that age. It makes you cry to see your babies hurt.. Luckily they are very resilient. Good thing its at the end of swimming season right? Hoping for a quick recovery for the little guy!

Angie said...

I can't believe that was your first visit to the ER. You are supposed to start out slowly with a few stitches not jump straight to broken bones. That is horrible! Shaped like an S, I can only imagine. I hope he gets better soon! I love the pics, he looks adorable!

Melanie said...

Poor little guy! What an angel to be so good and polite despite everything. I hope he's better soon.

BTW, the title of your post was very catchy!

Seth and Karen said...

I hope that never happens to me, but I'm sure my time will come. I am so sorry you had to go through that. I hear the parents (especially the mom) feel it the worse!

sachia said...

Brighton boy wonder! He made it through his parents freaking out with his first broken bone. Poor lil guy but he sounds like he is going to be just fine. Kisses from California!

Nat said...

Wow! What a story! I would have been a wreck! Sounds like you handled it all well. There is something so adorable about that cast and sling.

Jen said...

So scary! I'm glad he's going to be ok. I thankfully have not had the ER experience yet. He looks like a little trooper.

OMI said...

Oh MY! I didn't even hear about this! Hope he is feeling better. We will be by with a treat for you guys on Sunday.
I've got you signed up for the dinner development. It's going to be so much fun...so bring your camera. Anika and Lisa are the ones that convinced me to do a beginners class. I'm so excited. It will be a party with all of us. You can go to omiphoto.com, click on the client tab and select pay retainers. There will be a dinner development button, click it and check out! THANKS GIRL!!!