Friday, August 8, 2008

Swimmingly






Swimming lessons for my kids are winding down and I find a slight sense of security in their great progress in mastering the water! Stella and Miles have been taking private lessons through Swim Kids all summer at a home about 10 minutes from where we live. Private lessons are not cheap so I was hoping they would respond well! And respond well they did. Stella has always been a fish but I really wanted her to learn some technique. I was so excited to see her swim the length of the pool on her own and flip to her back when she ran out of air! She was jumping off the diving board and barreling deep into the water to retrieve diving toys! Miles just being three did not love the "BiG" or deep water as he called it. But he reluctantly did everything they told him. Miles is such an articulate little character. Instead of just crying he would clearly state what he wanted to do and what he did not! "I do not want to float on my back, I do not want to swim to the edge, I just want to get the rockets!" Of course his instructors helped him work through all of that and always rewarded his efforts with diving for rockets. By the end of the summer Miles was swimming underwater on his own, swimming to the wall and pulling out, floating on his back and yes retrieving rockets from the stairs. I debated about the pricey cost of private lessons but I finally concluded that I pay a lot for their dance and music why would safety be any different!! I just hope now my kids will have a chance in the case of an accident! But not to worry I will not be taking my eyes off them when there is water!
*Have you ever tried private lessons?
*Do you have to throw your kiddos in the water for lessons or are they water lovers?

2 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

We tried semi-private lessons this year and I was really happy with the results--I'm with you, I won't take my eyes off them, but I'm glad they acquired the skills they did! Great photos--I wish I had remembered to snap a few during my kids' lessons.

Kristy said...

I would love to try semi-private next! Where did you take them for swim lessons.