Friday, August 22, 2008

Favorite Things


When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I am feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad!! No, I am not Julie Andrews. But I have been thinking about my children attaching themselves to certain items that bring them magical comfort and companionship!
For Stella it is "Pink Bear". She got this little beeny baby that says, "Its a Girl" when she was first born from my niece. She has loved and toted it around ever since. It has seen some pretty cool places and endured some serious beatings. Even spent a night or two alone in a dark lost corner. But always to be found. Recently Stella took Pink Bear to the movies and left him in the theater. I thought it was a hopeless cause but we went back to look. The theatre was cleared and cleaned with no pink bear in sight. Oh no, Stella will be devastated. I rushed to the lost and found. After inquiring about the little lost bear the clerk retrieved the small treasure in question from the lonely lost and found as if she had been expecting it. She held the dirty little bear by the ear and I turned it over to Stella for the appropriate bear hug!! Stella likes to take pictures with my phone. My dad called me and said "Uh...you just sent me a picture of a pink bear?" Stella somehow sent my dad a picture message of her adored pink bear.

My sister gave Miles a velvet soft monkey that looks just like Curious George when he was born. And this he has affectionately become attached to and named "Georgie". Miles is a little more rough and gets him tight around the neck dragging him through the sandbox or in the back of his dump truck. He has been peed and puked on (not intentionally of course). Needless to say, Georgie has taken a swim in the washer several times! But Georgie bears it well and always keeps his smile. Especially when he is tucked beneath the arm of his rambunctious red headed friend as he peacefully sleeps.


Brighton on the other hand doesn't show preference to an animal but his camouflage blanket lovingly made by his mom and grandma. Whenever he sees the blanket he does his Homer Simpson laugh. (Disclaimer, I am not a Simpson's fan but he sound just like Homer when he sort of bleats "ooooo...doughnuts!") Brighton rolls around in his blanket and squeals. I love it when I lay him in bed and cover him with the favorite blankie and he giggles under his binki. I am sure this blanket will continue to have an interesting journey.


How long will these cute little relationships last? It makes me think of Toy Story. Poor Woody.



*What are your children's favorite things?






3 comments:

CB said...

Ah, the land of Favorite Things..my 3 girls have their own attachments as well..Saydi's is her "blankie" (one that was mine as a child), Heidi likes her Build A Bear monkey and Abbey is attached to her little elephant my sister bought her when she was born!! Oh the places these things will go!

Christy P. said...

Have you read about Minty Bear?
http://www.finslippy.com/finslippy/2007/07/rip-minty-bear.html

It may make you cry, but what a mama!

Hancock family said...

That is so cute! I know when Stella was over for Addy's birthday she took extra care of her teddy! We understand the need to have a stuff friend here!