Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Nutrition 101


A new school year is approaching us and I am excited to be teaching again. I took a year off because one special baby Brighton made his debut last August. I usually teach health or community health but I am trying something new this semester...nutrition! So in honor of this new class, this post is dedicated to eating healthy and making it taste good!! Recently when I was getting my hair done, my friend and I were laughing about how her husband thought raw oatmeal and flax seed was tasty for breakfast. Add a little peach and blueberry and now we have got something to talk about! I thrive on my fruits and veges, couldn't live without them. When we stop eating junk it really isn't what tastes good anymore (I am still working on this one). I definitely have a sweet tooth but there are lots of fun and healthy ways to satisfy that craving. I am really trying to be better so recently when I went out for ice cream with some friends I got the nonfat yogurt with blackberries mixed in! So good and not to bad for you either. As long as the sugar isn't out of control in the frozen yogurt. For breakfast try granola with sliced bananas and homemade wheat bread (or straight from the bread maker). Make an Asian wrap with a whole wheat tortilla and left over grilled chicken for lunch. One of my favorite snacks is rice crackers with hummus. MMMMM! For dinner grill up some veges lightly coated in olive oil and rosemary and serve with maple glazed salmon. All of these are very healthy and so good to your taste buds. My problem is eating too many healthy foods. Hopefully teaching this class will keep me motivated. Practice what you preach. Right???Ha!

4 comments:

Mama Williams said...

Oooo good ideas. I think you should host a little taste test! Hee! Hee! Yummy!
Good luck with your classes!

Lisa R.D. said...

Great ideas for healthy eating--you'll be an excellent teacher for this class! I, however, am a hypocritical dietitian, which is one of the many reasons I am no longer in practice :).

CB said...

Good for you Kristy! I never knew you taught classes. Eating healthier is always something I am working on!

Rina said...

I totally need to pick your brain sometime- Emilie and I have talked about starting a get fit group. You need to be our leader.