Thursday, September 30, 2010

Birthday Band


Today is that boy's birthday. The one I fell in love with nearly 15 years ago as I stood watching him master the bass guitar on stage. My friends and I would watch them play from gig to gig and hang out while they practiced. Yes I was drawn to those magical musicians. Especially the mysterious ones that carried around books and whose words were few but meaningful. We were a match many would not have put together but a perfect match we made. Music has always been a way for us to connect and I couldn't count the number of concerts that we have experienced together.


I am a believer of giving experiences for gifts. They are my favorite gift to receive as well....a trip, pedicure, concert, play, hot air balloon ride, etc. There are the occasional meaningful "things". But my memories I really do treasure and will never lose them or break them or wonder what happened to them. They are my constant companion and can brighten any moment when I think of them.


So in the spirit of sharing music and experiences I gave my Mr. Man tickets to Band of Horses, a group of musicians he highly favors. We had such a great time and both agreed it had been too long since we saw a really good concert with such a good vibe. They started the show with the very fitting "Great Salt Lake." It definitely opened the flood gate to so many memories. Happy Birthday to my SWEET Spinner.

(We had a family party sunday, concert Tuesday, and big birthday breakfast today! The kids made sure to play our traditional birthday song found on the Beatles White album over and over.)

2 comments:

Kelly Jensen said...

Happy Birthday Spencer! We just saw Band of Horses too! Have you guys heard of the Bridge Benefit Concert here in the bay?? I think you would love it! Look it up-- thats the first place we ever saw Band of Horses... every year its fantastic!

Kristy said...

Hey Kelly! We must have hit their next stop on the tour here in Utah. It was a really good time! I am sure we would love the benefit concert in the bay. I will check it out. Take care.