This year has been monumental for me, as far as giving my kids a little more independence. I have always been so protective and cautious about everything. But as my kids get older I see how important it is for them to be strong independent individuals. To be people that can do for themselves, make decisions, and be reliable. Now I have always encouraged them to get their own cup of water, make their bed without being asked, buckle themselves up, choose to eat healthy, etc. And of course this can make my life difficult at times when they want to do everything on their own. But I am proud that they want to grow and not lean on me for everything. It was just the big things like walking home from school or playing outside without me right by their side that has been difficult. We only live two blocks from the school but it was difficult for me to make this decision for Stella. She has a great group of girls that she walks with and I see her confidence being boosted when I trust her to do such a grown up thing.
I do think about the safety issues of independence, a lot, and realize too much for a child is careless. But just enough gives them the tools for a balanced successful life. A few mornings ago I was combing Brighton's hair in the bathroom when I heard a loud CRASH and the sound of broken glass coming from Miles' room. I rushed in there to find a huge dresser tipped over and Miles trapped beneath it. I panicked and with that extra dose of adrenaline pulled that dresser off him in about one second. Luckily he was fine, a little shaken, but nothing broken or cut. He had all the drawers open and was climbing them to get to his socks. These are those moments that remind me that sometimes being an independent child can put you in sticky situations. So do you protect their every move or do you let them get a little bruised in the learning process? To answer this, I think I will always be on the cautious side but encourage healthy safe independence in those beautiful babes of mine.
Here they are displaying their independence while picking their very own pumpkins in their very own tiny wheel barrels. And making their own way through the corn maze. Easy safe ways to show mom and dad who is boss.
3 comments:
These are such good thoughts... I think that all parents struggle with finding the balance of being appropriately involved in decisions and activities. I know that as my kids have gotten older it's very bittersweet to see them doing things on their own.
I agree, it is hard to let them go, even with the small things when they are little, but just think, now he know he shouldn't climb up the drawers to get his socks....something he didn't know before that experience! :)
I know what you mean! What cute kids. That looks like an awesome pumpkin patch.
Post a Comment