Sunday, February 6, 2011

Snyders Unplugged






I am breaking my own no media rule by typing this but I felt inspired. My kids have been off track or on a winter break from their year round school the last two weeks. And everyday I have attempted to keep them busy and educated at the same time. But when they get bored it seems they gravitate to the TV, Wii, cell phone, etc. And it causes me anxiety to say the least. One day I caught Stella playing a game on Spencer's old phone while eating her breakfast and then on the toilet!! So we have gone to the dinosaur museum twice, Kangaraoo Zoo bounce house center, the zoo, swimming, ice-skating, the library, skiing, country farm, a train expo, and I even put them in a day camp twice. Although I did feel a little strange leaving them at the day camp. I felt the message I was sending went something like, "Please take my kids, entertain them, I will PAY you!". But entertained they were and I got some errands and mom stuff done. We got a few camera phone shots along the way. But today being Sunday we decided to eliminate media completely! That is a Sunday rule that should have been in place long ago. The kids knew it was coming. And didn't complain. We get out of church at noon. And then we made bread, crafts, played board games, puzzles, and they even did a few science experiments with dad while I was out visiting teaching. I felt like I could breath. Like our house was more healthy some how. That I wasn't being suffocated by all the sounds of media and stoned faced children as they stared at them. As much of a love affair I have with my media, it is so nice to let it go for just a little while and cleanse my system. So I better get off this computer before it sucks me in!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

It is hard work not to get sucked in! Looks like you've had a great time being unplugged.

CB said...

Unplugged is awesome. And your pics are great. :)