Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I Heart Presidents Day Weekend

When Spencer asked me what I wanted for Valentine's Day, I simply replied, "Flowers and a little family getaway." And so that is what we did. Usually Hydrangeas are the flower of choice (because they are my favorite) but this year Spencer mixed things up with these beautiful white roses. Instead of heading somewhere warm we went straight into the heart of cold. And it was so much fun no one wanted to leave the winter wonderland. Midway is only about an hour away but we found it quite refreshing and great to spend so much time together as a little family!
The first day we got there we went sledding at Soldier Hollow and our friends the Winters met us there. (yes that is really their last name) This hill may look innocent enough but it was very slick!! Even after they groomed it. Brighton and I got the pleasure of test running one of the hills before it was groomed. We went flying down that mountain and straight up the hill at the bottom and CRASHED right into the mesh fences. Brighton had a little bloody lip and I was a little bruised but mostly frightened by the hill of DEATH! But much to my surprise Brighton kept going and we all had a great time. I have to admit that I did panic a little bit every time I went down and dragged my feet at the end so much that I was getting some snow in the face. So crazy and so much fun!!


The hotel is always the favorite spot for the kids. I think they would be happy playing in the room and swimming. We ate breakfast every morning by the fire in the hotel restaurant that overlooked the snow covered golf course. Huge snowflakes were swirling down outside and it was so beautiful. The crater at the homestead is always fun to check out. So cool that you can scuba dive in the 65 foot deep natural warm spring water of the crater.


We love to snowshoe. Although we discovered that three years old was still a little young to get your feet untangled with the big snowshoes. This particular outing Brighton suddenly started to complain about his stomach. I was pulling him in the sled and all the sudden he threw up! Of course all over his snow clothes and the sled. At least it wasn't in the car. So I headed back to the car, got a big plastic bag, and stripped him down. Luckily his clothes beneath were not affected. I cranked the heater, covered him up and he fell asleep until the rest of the family made it back to the car. Just keeping it real, the joys of motherhood! But as you can see the other two non-puking children were having a great time. Dad taught them that the best part about snowshoeing is sliding down!

These amazing ice castles were definitely a highlight of the trip. We first visited them during the day and they were very impressive. It is amazing how they created this artwork out of ice. But even more impressive is when we returned at night to see them all lit up. It is difficult to describe but the pictures speak for themselves. We were in awe as we winded in and out of them. Not to mention the really yummy pizza joint we found right next to ice castles. The kind of pizza joint where the pizza resembles that which you find in Italy. I think the kids ate five pieces of pizza each. My little foodies.



On our final day the kids wanted to make sure and fit everything in again! So we ate breakfast at the hotel, swam, snowshoed, and at least drove past the ice castles! This time Brighton did not throw up! Success!! But a little dog followed us around and all the way back to the car. I think Stella was convinced that if the dog followed us to the car that we could keep it. She kept whispering, "come on puppy". I think we might have to invest in some sort of pet sooner or later. Note the sly look on Spencer's face as he prepares to toss that snowball over my way!


I am so grateful for all the loves in my life.
And these four walking along the river are on the top of my list and I thank God for them everyday.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

What a great weekend. Aaron went to those ice castles a few weeks ago and told us all about them. We looked up their blog and it has some cool pictures on it.
http://www.brentsicecastle.blogspot.com/

CB said...

Awesome pics of the snow castles. Those are amazing. What a great weekend get away. Funny how the little things are the happiest things huh?

Jen said...

That looks amazing. My kids would love those castles!