Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Vintage Carnival for Stella


When God, the Dr., and Spencer passed along my baby girl nine years ago I thought I had hit the jackpot. I REALLY wanted at least one girl and as luck would have it, I got that beautiful dark haired, blue eyed, sweet spirited girl. It was as if the Heavens themselves had opened up and released one of its celestial stars. I guess that is why we had to call her Stella, meaning star. Stella is a low key girl and I was always quite the opposite, I adore her for it. She is talented at almost everything she tries but is humble and not the type to put on a show. She is herself. And yes that includes emotional bouts and sassiness. But mostly she is kind and sweet. Stella is a great writer, musician, athlete, and friend. I checked her out of school Friday for our annual lunch and I couldn't stop tearing up as I sat across from a mature beautiful girl. We talked about school, friends, favorite movies, and her upcoming party. In 9 more short years she will fly the coop. And while I dread the day, I also think that I have done my job if she is independent, strong and happy. Ready to spread those Stella bird wings and fly away. I don't know why but I just imagined things would stay the same. Our little family vacations with small children, loads of laundry and carpool. But for some reason lately I can see that slowly begin to fade away. And by slowly I mean giant tortoise across the Saharan Desert slow. I do have four piles of laundry sitting next to me as I type. And so I kiss my sweet girl on the forehead and think today at 9 years old you are still mine.

This year for her party we did something totally different. I have always thrown a big house party with all the girls in our neighborhood but Stella wanted to hit Trafalga this year. So I told her to pick a few friends and we would squish in the car for a ride down to her Vintage Carnival themed bash! I didn't photograph the invites but they were cute popcorn holders filled to the brim with buttery popcorn and all the particulars of her party! For a party favor on the way out the girls got a little more sugar for the day in a small dose of cotton candy.

Most of the Gang.





Laser tag is great fun with 12 giggling girls~










We also had the Carters and Snyders over Sunday for a big Italian Feast. Miss Stella's favorite food is pesto pasta for sure! ~Happy Birthday to my Sweet Stella bug~

1 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

Great party idea! It looks like it was loads of fun. Stella is a sweetheart, that is for sure!