Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Visiting Winter

Winter travel is sketchy. My mom and I had planned to drive to Denver to visit my brother and his family over the kid's winter track break. But it was snowing in Vail and apparently the road isn't worth traveling if there is any sort of bad weather. We were sad because I wanted to see my brother's new pad and we had everything scheduled around the trip. So I immediately started my research and found a really great condo in Midway, only one hour away! It was my mom's birthday and I wanted to plan something fun being that we couldn't make it to Denver. We invited my sister and her kids along as well. We called it our sister wives vacation because there were no husbands and 8 rather small children!! As we packed the car all day it was a blizzard outside. But I was determined to go. So I loaded up the kids and drove down to my parents to pick up the rest of the party. I was having a little anxiety and the kids reminded me to pray! Each kid wanted to say a prayer out loud. By the time we reached my parents 30 minutes away the storm had cleared and we were able to drive to Midway safely. It was such a relaxing winter vacation. We weren't in a hurry to go anywhere and the kids were just happy to be there. We swam, ate, and played in the snow and ice. It was so nice to be nestled in the warm condo while the swirling snow fell to the ground. We haven't had much winter this year so it was fun to be immersed in a winter wonderland.

A room with a view. Happy Birthday Grandma!
The boys having a little craft time.
This was a really cool loft for the girls full of bunk beds!



My dad and Spencer made an appearance on my Mom's birthday for sledding and dinner! We found this really tasty red velvet cake at a local bakery. We also made a big chocolate one to feed the bunch. I had ordered a different one but when we arrived the little bakery I had ordered from was closed due to weather? And for the next two days. A little strange but I guess business is different in small towns.
Everyone adores Grandma!
My little fish!
Stella practicing her leg lift! The kids skated for almost 3 hours.






2 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

This looks like it was so much fun! I love that you take advantage of opportunities to make fun for your family.

Did your mom tell you how we blatantly copied your fun ideas for New Beginnings? It was fun and we are so grateful for your creativity and willingness to share ideas.

Kristy said...

She did say you used the idea! I am so glad it turned out well. Our girls loved it!