
Christmas in the city is MAGICAL. And I have always wanted to stay at the Little or Grand America in downtown Salt Lake City during the Christmas season. So this year I made it happen. And I think that it is a new family tradition. Staying at the Little America is like going back in time. There were old time carolers, music in the lobby, big roaring fires, and lots of festive decorations. The Grand America had a really fun scavenger hunt of finding the hidden star in window displays. And along that scavenger hunt was a gingerbread house the size of a child's playhouse. All made from edible items. Very cool! It ended at the most AMAZING toy store for collecting a sticker and then to a little french bakery for a cookie. The toy store had a monster wall with electronic pictures that changed images and a huge tree with fairies. There was also a GIANT robot and window displays that captured the imagination. Not to mention the candy, the brightly colored enticing displays of candy. I had no idea that the Grand America had such fun activities for the kids. They also have brunch and tea with Santa. We went to the Utah Symphony "Here Comes Santa Claus" concert at Abrevenal Hall. Just attending Abrevenal Hall is a great experience for the children. They were amazed by its big golden balconies and shimmering chandeliers. I was worried about how Brighton would do. But he did great, a little restless towards the end but manageable. I think Stella enjoyed it the most!! We ate at a great little unique deli, one of the reasons I love the city, all the unique little food joints. We also went to the lights at temple sqaure. Although I have never seen more people nor do I remember a night so cold. I enjoyed the lights but I think the kids were only worried about one thing, getting back to the hotel to SWIM! So we moved right on through the lights, jumped on trax, and went back to swim. The little America has a great indoor/outdoor pool and the kids were swimming outside!! I did not attempt that. On Sunday we ate yummy smoothies, muffins, and bagels by the roaring fire while carolers serenaded us with music. A Christmas moment I will not forget. We got back on trax and headed to the Joseph Memorial building for church services. I am sure my kids will not forget going to church in such a beautiful setting. There were guitar, flute, piano, and choir musical numbers in the program and it was so lovely to be there. Although being mostly adults in the meeting, it was very quiet. We had to work hard to keep our kids very quiet so as not to make a peep in the large echoing walls of the Joseph Smith Memorial building. We walked around and looked at the life size nativities after church on the temple grounds. The place was empty and it was fun to walk around without a million other good folks. While such busyness tends to over tire and excite the kids, I am so glad that we went and made such wonderful Christmas memories. It certainly won't be the last time!
The Miracle of Aaron
9 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment