Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Love Trip

It is becoming our yearly tradition to head south for the long Valentine/President's Day weekend. This year we spent time in Moab and hiking Arches National Park. I love to see the red rocks spotted with snow. It seems a little ironic to see snow in the desert but the weather was beautiful. It felt like spring and the skies were blue. The family was in heaven scampering along the slick rock and hiking to all the amazing arches. They also loved the swimming pool and breakfast included at our hotel. I really haven't stopped raving about the fish tacos I had a Miguels Baja Grill. The best I have ever had, it is a must try if you are in Moab. We also visited Hole in the Rock and the backyard zoo there. Those little petting zoos in small towns make me laugh, they usually are a rip off and very rustic. Of course the kids love to have close encounters with Zebras, Camels, Wallabies, etc. They gave us a bucket of food to feed the animals for five extra dollars of course. The owner was a friendly cowboy and gave us the low down on each of his prized pets. We also did a little shopping and hit a movie. Moab is a favorite trip of mine. It is only three hours away but full of world renowned beauty. We met some travelers from Italy. And it so happened we had been very near where they lived in Italy. We are so lucky to live so close to places that people travel many miles to see. And of course we had chocolate, valentines, and roses to top off our trip. We attended church in Moab on Sunday and then drove straight to my sisters for special Valentine Dinner. It was a weekend full of many things I love.






6 comments:

Melanie said...

The last time I went to Moab was 25 years ago. I guess it's time to go back! Glad you had such a great family weekend.

Christie said...

Where is that backyard zoo? Russ will be working part of the time we're there, so I'm always looking for things to do with the kiddies while he's working.

Lisa R.D. said...

Oh, I want to go to Moab! Maybe next year... this year we went south too... but relaxed in a condo instead of hiking (I'm a bit large and awkward these days!). What a great tradition!

CB said...

Love the pictures! Looks like so much fun. :)

Kristy said...

Christie-The backyard zoo is at Hole in the Rock just about 12 miles south of Moab. You can also tour the 14 room home in the mountain for an additional fee! LOL

Lisa-How are you doing with your pregnancy? It is getting so close. I am glad you got to relax.

Jen said...

That looks so fun. I love Moab but haven't been forever. I can't wait to get back to the desert.